Paternity Attorneys in Colorado
Settle Paternity Disputes with Our Help
Paternity is an important legal concept that grants a man parental rights over a child. Without it, multiple family law processes like child custody and child support will become that much more complicated.
If you need to establish paternity of your child, turn to Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C. for all the legal guidance you need. Our paternity lawyers represent clients throughout Colorado. It is our goal to make your life easier by establishing paternity, while always acting in the best interest of your child.
We would like to hear from you. Call (720) 809-8310 today to arrange a consultation.
Three Ways to Establish Paternity in Colorado
Colorado law has three distinct ways to establish paternity of a child:
- Assumed and automatic: When a child is born, a man married to the child’s mother is assumed to be the child’s father. Paternity will be automatically granted to that man unless the mother presents a reason to object to a family law court or another man asserts he is in fact the child’s biological father.
- Voluntary: Two parents who both agree that they are the parents of a child can voluntarily establish paternity of that child. The parents in this situation do not need to be married, but they still need to go to the courthouse to make the paternity establishment official using a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity (VAP) document. The VAP document can be challenged by either parent within 60 days of its filing.
- Court order: The final way to establish paternity is the most complicated, as it involves two or more parties who do not agree who is the real father of a child. Even a minor child in Colorado has the right to contest paternity through a court action and order.
Who Can Challenge Paternity?
Challenging or establishing paternity through the court can be initiated by the:
- Mother of the child
- Child if an adult
- Personal representative of the child if the child is 17 or younger
- Any man who reasonably believes he is the child’s father
- Colorado Department of Human Resources
- Local-level social services department
When a family law judge is convinced that establishing paternity is a necessity, it can order the suspected father and the child to take a DNA test. The results of the test can be used to legally establish or deny paternity, however, a mere positive paternity test is not always enough in Colorado to establish legal paternity over a child.
Why You Would Want to Establish Paternity
When a man is declared as the legal father of a child, he has a stronger chance of being granted child custody or visitation rights during a divorce. As part of a custody agreement, a father with paternal rights may also get a fair say in how to raise his child, even if he is the noncustodial parent.
Mothers often want to establish paternity to ensure they will be paid child support from the child’s biological father. A mother may also get access to important insurance benefits held by her child’s father, such as the ability to be included in health insurance policies. Lastly, the child in a paternity case can also get important insurance and inheritance benefits through paternity, such as a legal claim to property or retirement accounts when the father passes away.
Solve Paternity Disputes the Simple Way
The legal process of establishing paternity can be intensive, especially if one party does not want to cooperate or does not understand the purpose of it. On top of those issues, you will still need to deal with a family law judge, who can use some discretion to influence the outcome of your case. Make certain you are ready for whatever your paternity case has to offer by coming to the Colorado paternity attorneys of Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C. We are here to guide you through each step and represent you before the court whenever needed.
Begin your paternity case today by calling (720) 809-8310.
The smartest thing I ever did was to hire JBP.- B.E.
I ended up with more than I expected- Anonymous
You did a terrific job of assisting me with my legal issues- M.T.
I am so grateful- D.H.
The service from James was professional and resulted in a satisfactory outcome.- T.W.