Colorado Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In a Crash? Get Us on Your Side
Were you hit by a drunk driver in Colorado? We will help you hold them liable for your resulting damages, like your medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle repairs, as well as damages related to your pain and suffering. Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C. can help you discover and uncover your options. Our attorneys have secured millions of dollars in compensation for motor vehicle crash clients throughout the years. With your own recovery on the line, you should trust in a law firm like ours.
Dial (720) 809-8310 to schedule a free initial consultation.
Evidence to Use in Drunk Driving Cases
A drunk driving accident makes for a difficult legal situation because it involves one or more crimes, namely driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while ability impaired (DWAI). To investigate and understand the situation, we recommend getting the assistance of our attorneys as soon as possible. We know where to look for convincing evidence of liability and how to utilize it in your claim.
Unique forms of evidence that can help with a drunk driving accident case are:
- Police reports: Police officers who came to the scene of your crash and arrested the drunk driver should have made comprehensive reports of what they saw. Our attorneys are familiar with law enforcement agencies throughout Colorado and how they function. Allow us to network with them to get copies of the relevant police reports, which we can then examine for proof of liability.
- BAC test results: When a driver is arrested and there is reason to believe they are drunk, the police will take them back to the station for a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test. The result shows how much alcohol the driver had imbibed before driving and, therefore, how much they were likely impaired by it. We know how to get this criminal evidence, too.
- Prosecutorial evidence: The criminal justice system is separate from the civil court system for a reason. But that doesn’t mean that evidence used by prosecutors in a DUI case can’t be used by plaintiff attorneys in the related civil claim. If the criminal case ends before your lawsuit does, which is likely, then we could see if the prosecution uncovered any intriguing evidence that can help us as we build your case.
- Conviction: If the drunk driver was convicted, then that alone could help prove liability or at least wrongdoing. The insurance defense team will have a much more difficult time trying to argue that their policyholder’s intoxication was fabricated or exaggerated if a criminal court was convinced that it was real enough to warrant a conviction and sentencing.
Is Intoxication Automatic Liability?
Although intoxication is clearly an issue, it does not make for automatic liability in a drunk driving accident claim. As the plaintiff, it is still up to you to prove that the drunk driver caused the crash, rather than them needing to prove that they didn’t. This is where our representation and all of the aforementioned forms of unique evidence become so important. We will do all we can to ensure that a drunk driver does not escape liability due to a wrinkle in the law or a gap in your own case.
What Intoxication Does to a Driver
If the drunk driver had a high BAC result, then we can more easily argue that they were intoxicated to the point of serious impairment. The more alcohol someone drinks, the worse it will affect their driving abilities, and no insurance company would reasonably try to argue otherwise.
Intoxication will impact a driver by:
- Slowing reaction times
- Worsening motor control (swerving)
- Increasing distractibility
- Lowering focus
- Blurring vision
- Muddling hearing
When all of these impairments are compounded, the drunk driver becomes an extreme hazard to themselves and everyone else on the road. Even one alcoholic beverage is enough to trigger some of these impairments, too. Ask any safety group or law enforcement officer and they will tell you that there is no such thing a “buzzed” driving because being buzzed is the same as being drunk.
Take Legal Action Today – Call Our Firm
Our Colorado drunk driving accident attorneys are standing by to help you after a drunk driver hit you at no fault of your own. We are committed to making certain that the people in our communities have access to caring and effective legal representation. We proudly offer contingency fees for personal injury claimants, which means you can always afford to hire us because we don’t get paid unless we win your case.
Tell us about your accident today. Dial (720) 809-8310.
The smartest thing I ever did was to hire JBP.- B.E.
I ended up with more than I expected- Anonymous
You did a terrific job of assisting me with my legal issues- M.T.
I am so grateful- D.H.
The service from James was professional and resulted in a satisfactory outcome.- T.W.