Video & Phone Consultations Available – Don’t Let COVID Delay Your Rights
We’ve Helped Thousands of People JUST LIKE YOU
For All Locations, Call:

Grandparents’ Rights in Colorado

Let Our Broomfield Attorneys Help You Protect Your Rights

Grandparents play a vital role in the lives of their grandchildren. But when a grandchild’s parents separate, or when one parent passes away, these relationships may be disrupted. When a parent loses custody, many grandparents are curious to know whether they may still see their grandchildren. Grandparents may also find themselves requesting parenting rights and responsibilities when they find themselves providing daily care for their grandchildren and needing court orders so they can continue to provide care.

When Can a Grandparent Request Visitation?

Grandparents do not need court-ordered visitation when the parents of their grandchildren freely allow them to visit. However, in the event of a child custody dispute, grandparents may seek visitation rights.

Grandparents may obtain visitation rights to see their grandchildren if any of the following occurs:

  • The grandchild’s parents divorce, separate, or annul their marriage
  • Someone other than a child’s parent has been given child custody
  • One parent passes away

Grandparents may obtain parenting rights and responsibilities if the following occurs:

  • The grandchild has lived with grandparents for over six months
  • An emergency occurred causing the parents to be unable to care for the children
  • The parents are requesting the grandparents step in for a time or permanently to care for the minor children.

If you qualify, you must file a motion in the district court of the county the child resides. The motion must include an affidavit which discloses the facts to support your case. A copy of the petition must be served to the person who has legal custody of the child.

The court will make a decision based on the child’s best interests. The judge will consider a parent’s objection as well as the potential advantages of the grandkids’ relationship with you. Law requires the court to presume a parent is acting in the best interests of the child. If one fit parent objects to a grandparent’s visitation request, the court must weigh the child’s best interests against that parent’s right to make decisions for his/her child.

Contact us and discuss your case with Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C. today for more information.

Call (720) 809-8310 to Get Started on Your Case Today

Our attorneys can help you gather evidence to show that you are a proper custodian for your grandchildren. We understand the importance of the relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren, which is why we are committed to helping families stay together. Do not hesitate to establish a legal relationship with your grandchildren.

At Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C., we are ready to protect your rights and your grandchildren’s best interests and to help you obtain the most favorable outcome in your case. With more than 30 years of legal experience, our Broomfield grandparents rights' lawyers have helped thousands of families in Colorado with their legal matters. We will sit down with you, listen to your concerns, and develop an effective case strategy to help you maintain a loving relationship with your grandchildren.

We've Helped Thousands of People

People Just Like You
  • Working with you, John and Yhosseni has truly been an honor.

    Working with you, John and Yhosseni has truly been an honor. 

    - Anonymous
  • The smartest thing I ever did was to hire JBP.

    “The smartest thing I ever did was to hire JBP. My legal team at JBP worked extremely well for my unique situation.”

    - B.E.
  • I ended up with more than I expected

    “He handled it great (5 stars) kept me informed all the way which I really appreciated.”

    - Anonymous
  • You did a terrific job of assisting me with my legal issues

    “You did a terrific job of assisting me with my legal issue...I will definitely recommend you and your firm to anyone needing expert legal assistance.”

    - M.T.
  • I am so grateful

    “In this very challenging time, I am so grateful to have my home and much of the reason I do is your firm's hard work for me in 2017-18.”

    - D.H.
  • Larimer County Bar Association
  • Weld County Bar
  • Boulder County Bar Associations
  • Super Lawyers
  • BBB A+ Rating
  • NAELA Member
  • Colorado Trial Lawyers
  • Colorado Bar Association

The JBP Difference

Jorgensen Brownell & Pepin
  • Compassionate in Our Approach
  • Dedicated to Your Case
  • Committed to the Colorado Community
  • Over 30 Years of Experience
  • Full-Service Law Firm

Get in Touch

Contact Our Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.