Longmont Wrongful Death Attorneys
Representing Families Dealing with the Death of a Loved One
Nothing can prepare you for the loss and hardship you are going to endure after losing a loved one to a third party’s mistakes and carelessness. Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C. would like to help you through this trying time by helping you prepare your wrongful death claim. With legal complications and concerns off your shoulders, you can focus more on grieving and recovering in your own way.
Why should you choose our Longmont wrongful death lawyers?
- We have 30+ years of legal experience.
- We have secured millions of dollars for past clients.
- We maintain close client-attorney relationships for easy communication.
- We can complete every step of your case, including courtroom litigation.
The truth is that your wrongful death case can be frustrating and tiring because you will already be dealing with the pain of losing a loved one. But with our assistance and guidance, you can make things a little bit better while pursuing much-deserved compensation.
Call (720) 809-8310 to schedule a free initial consultation with our firm.
Compensation in Wrongful Death Claims
What sort of compensation can you expect from a wrongful death claim? It depends on the details of your case, but you can rest better knowing that our attorneys know how to uncover all types of damages and pursue them to the fullest. A major victory in or out of court cannot undo the harm you have endured so far, but it can make the future more comfortable by ensuring your loved one’s death does not devastate you financially as well.
Compensation in a wrongful death claim can help pay for:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Costs of the deceased’s final medical treatments
- Income the deceased won’t but should have earned in life
- Employment benefits owed to the deceased
- Lost value of the deceased’s daily support, like housecleaning
- Grief and loss of companionship suffered by family members
We can also attempt to secure punitive damages in your wrongful death claim. Punitive damages are used to punish defendants for egregious negligence or intentional harm. For example, if you lost your loved one in a drunk driving accident caused by someone who was intoxicated and racing through a suburban neighborhood, then the court might be convinced to allow punitive damages to further penalize that driver for acting so reckless. Colorado does not cap punitive damages, either, so they could be your case’s best opportunity to secure something that feels like justice for you.
Can You File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Only certain people in Colorado can file a wrongful death claim after a loved one passes away. Simply knowing the deceased and having been close to them does not automatically qualify you to file a claim.
The following requirements must be met to file a wrongful death claim:
- You must be the spouse or child of the deceased.
- If no surviving spouse or child is available, then you must be the parent of the deceased.
- If no surviving parent is available, then you must be the administrator of the deceased’s estate or have been given the ability to file through a court order.
- Colorado’s two-year statute of limitations must not have expired.
The two-year statute of limitations begins on the date your loved one passed away. You should plan on speaking with one of our attorneys soon after, so we can get your case started with ample time to file. Once the statute of limitations expires, though, the court will more than likely reject any claim, no matter how much evidence there is to prove that the defendant is liable for the wrongful death.
Our Counsel Allows You to Grieve
Grief counselors and therapies all agree that taking the time to grieve and be with your family is essential to recovering as best you can after losing a loved one. Being busy with insurance companies and legalities will not give you the time that you need, though. Please allow our Longmont wrongful death attorneys the chance to manage your case and represent you, so you can focus on what you need to take care of yourself.
Initial consultations are free and confidential. Call (720) 809-8310 now.
Working with you, John and Yhosseni has truly been an honor.
Working with you, John and Yhosseni has truly been an honor.” - Anonymous
The smartest thing I ever did was to hire JBP.- B.E.
I ended up with more than I expected- Anonymous
You did a terrific job of assisting me with my legal issues- M.T.
I am so grateful- D.H.