At Jorgensen, Brownell, & Pepin, we believe the role of a lawyer is to help people solve problems. Unfortunately, in many cases, our clients seek advice after experiencing a significant loss. Whether a person has suffered a serious injury or the loss of a loved one, it is essential for an attorney to be cognizant of the emotional realities associated with loss, trauma, and grief.
Medical and psychological professionals have dedicated significant research to the subject of grief, and much has been written about the five stages of grief:
- Denial: In this stage, people allow themselves to disregard current circumstances.
- Anger: When denial passes, people often become upset at the person who committed the harm.
- Bargaining: This stage involves an internal negotiation process where a person wrestles with potential outcomes.
- Depression: In this stage, the reality of the situation sets in, and a person often struggles with how the situation will affect his or her life.
- Acceptance: In this last stage, a person begins the process of moving forward.
While the attorneys at Jorgensen, Brownell, & Pepin are not psychological experts, we strive to offer advice that reflects both legal and real-world considerations. If you decide to pursue a lawsuit to recover damages for a personal loss or injury, you may experience the various stages of grief as your case progresses. Multiple stages of a case can require a person to recall and discuss the often tragic events that gave rise to the lawsuit. For instance, an accident victim may be required to give testimony in a deposition or at trial regarding the facts and circumstances that caused their injuries. This can be a difficult process for any person.
In light of the emotional and psychological challenges associated with accidents and other trauma, it’s important for a victim to understand the array of considerations involved with pursuing a lawsuit. With a proper understanding as to each step of your case, the lawyers at Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin can help you obtain fair compensation for your loss while minimizing the emotional toll associated with your situation.
Give our Longmont lawyers a call today, and let us help you move forward.