divorces are complicated. They can drain all you’ve worked hard for, leaving
you in a much worse situation than ever before. This is why it is important
you head into a divorce as prepared as possible, anticipating the worst.
Even if you and your future ex-spouse are as amicable as can be, you can
never predict when things can take a left turn--which is why our Longmont
family lawyers of Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C. want to ensure
we advise you as best as possible for the dos and don’ts of divorce.
Make sure to do the following in the midst of a divorce:
- Close all joint accounts, so you aren’t held liable for any debt
incurred by your future ex-spouse.
- Notify all financial institutions of your divorce.
- Obtain credit cards in your own name.
- Investigate into your marital finances, so you can be up to date on how
much is being earned, spent, invested, etc.
The following are things you should absolutely avoid during while you are
in the midst of a divorce:
- Don’t overshare the details of your relationship on social media.
This can jeopardize the entire process.
- Don’t immediately jump into a new relationship without having time
to process the end of your marriage. This may complicate things even further,
not just emotionally.
- Don’t rely on shopping or spending as an emotional crutch. Overspending
is common during divorce, because people want to make themselves feel
better by going on a luxury trip or making a major purchase. However,
you may be accused of dissipating assets, and you will need all of the
savings possible once you are single.
Contact Our Longmont Family Lawyers Today
Our firm, Jorgensen, Brownell & Pepin, P.C., is comprised of experienced,
skilled, and knowledgeable Longmont
family law attorneys who want you to come out of your divorce as seamlessly as possible.
Our legal team will do everything in our power to ensure we resolve your
case in an efficient and effective manner. Don’t face this difficult
Schedule an initial consultation by calling us today.
Contact us at (720) 809-8310.